Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

England Part 3

I miss English Food soooo much, I miss Fish & Chips, I miss the fresh bread from the bakery, and I miss the sweets (candy).  I even miss the Chinese food at home! 

Some of it is that I genuinely miss the flavors; some of it’s the memories, fresh bread takes me back to early Saturday Mornings shopping with my Mum.  I loved going to our favorite chinese restaurant on a Sunday with Mum & Dad, however I would love to forget the day I tried Peking duck for the first time.  Immediately after eating my first piece I looked out the window to see ducklings waddling to the Pond on the property! Mortifying for this 8 yr old! 

Those simple memories make me feel nostalgic & comfortable.  Seen as I am not in England & can’t just pick up my favorite take out when I want comfort food, I love to break out my old Yorkshire recipe book & attempt to recreate those meals I miss so much.
It never tastes the same but makes me miss home a little less.

One of my go to receipes is these simple chocolate chip biscuits (cookies) . They aren’t as sweet as American store bought cookies & are lovely if you substitute cranberries for the chocolate.
Theres nothing special about the recipe but a great reminder of my childhood.


All you need:

4 oz Margarine
2 oz soft brown sugar
1 tbsp of Honey (local is always better for you)
1 oz of choc chips or cranberries (I always add more)
4 oz of white flour (you can also do ½ white ½ whole wheat)


  1. Mix the margarine, sugar & honey together until fluffy.
  2. Add chocolate chips & flour together.
  3. Place small spoonfuls on a greased baking tray.
  4. Bake at 350f for approx 15 minutes until golden.  I usually take them out between 10-12 min’s so they are a little softer.  
I know people love going home to their Mum's cooking, so tell what your favorite comfort meals are?

No comments:

Post a Comment